CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, July 27, 2009

Funerals

I had the unfortunate opportunity to attend an aunt's funeral last week. While we weren't extremely close, she held a distinct role in my childhood. I can remember going to her house and cabin, the neat and tidy way she kept her home, and the way she carried herself. She was a beautiful woman, with a striking porcelain complexion. She always looked as if she belonged to the "country club" set. She was given a very nice service by a pastor that new her well and a family that loved her dearly. The best part - if there can be a "best part" of a funeral - was that some of the members of her Red Hat Society club came in their notorious purple and red regalia. They looked spectacular! I made a point to tell them that I was glad to see them dressed as they were. Aunt Mary would have loved it and expected nothing less. The ladies had a reserved pew, which was 2 rows up from me. And even though I couldn't see past the red straw hat wrapped in a purple boa, I was still glad they were there. After all, there's not much to see at a funeral.

I always come away from a funeral thinking of the way I want my funeral to go. Actually, after attending several, I have decided that I don't want a funeral. I want to donate my body to the state university for research. If my family wants a memorial service, that will be up to them. Some people need that "closure". I do not. There are too many aspects of a funeral that I disagree with Now I just need to put this wish in writing..........

It was nice to see some family members that I don't see very often. Stories were exchanged as were hugs and promises to keep in touch. We never know when fate will bring us together again, but we hope it's for a happier occasion.

1 comment:

  1. What a nice memory you have of your Aunt. I just love the fact that her friends were there in their Red Hats and that your Aunt would have expected nothing less.

    ReplyDelete